Current page: 2

View D Feathers closeup

As you will remember I was not happy with the feathers I was working with in class. The day after the class, I trim them up side to side so that they where no wider than about 6", dyed them with pink lemonade Koolade and curled them a little. When they where dry I started over with re-taping them, this time with pink floral tape. They were still a little too wild for me so I use a tailor's tack to hold the stems of the together at about 1/2 the length of the stem. You might be able to see it in the photo, it's very close to the area where the leading feather hangs over the main stem. I then shaped each of the three separate feathers to curl down over the main stem. To get the feathers onto the hat I slipped the taped section of the bundle under the double box pleat trim and tacked that in place and I also used a swing tack that goes from the main stem close the tailor's tack into the side crown just below the widest band of stripes. The swing tack is about 1/2 inch long an allows the feathers to move a little.
<--Previous  Up  Next-->

View D Feathers closeup